Thursday, July 22, 2010

What is the Korean name for Buddhist Prayer beads? (Mala is Sanskrit or Fo zhu in Chinese)?

I'm just curious? I know is China there are several names Fo zhu, Shu zhu and nian zhu are the most common, translating as Buddha beads, counting beads or prayer beads respectively. I have seen many pictures of Korean monks with malas and several Americans who practice Korean Buddhism with them. However, the Americans call them Malas and I have yet to ask a Korean practitioner. So, I'm asking you. Does anyone know what they are called in Korean?

What is the Korean name for Buddhist Prayer beads? (Mala is Sanskrit or Fo zhu in Chinese)?
The Korean term for mala is "yum joo."





Actually, the exact term used depends on how many beads on the string:


- 108 beads is called "yum joo"


- 1000 beads (!) is simply called "yum"





I'm not sure about the smaller 27 bead mala, but it's probably a "yum-something."


No comments:

Post a Comment